The Highlight of the Citrus Season
The highlight of the citrus season is Meyer lemons! Lemons can transform and balance a dish, and here is a recipe dedicated solely to these lemons. Lemon curd is the ultimate delicacy for all lemon lovers. Meyer lemons are available only for a few weeks during the peak of the winter.
Another Use for Lemons
Lemons can also be used as household detergents. Lemons have antiseptic properties, and their juice is a natural bleach. Lemon juice can clean the sink and polish copper pots and wooden kitchen table. Rub your hands with lemon after handling strongly smelling food, such as garlic, onions, or fish. In the olden days, lemon juice was the final rinse to keep hair shiny. A glass of room temperature water with lemon juice first thing in the morning can provide many health benefits.
Meyer Lemon Curd
- 1 c Meyer lemon juice from 4-5 lemons
- ¼ c Sugar
- 2 Whole eggs plus 2 egg yolks
- 6 Tbsp Butter
- pinch Salt
- Get all of your ingredients ready:
- There are a variety of gadgets that can be used for juicing citrus, some of them specifically designed for lemons. There is even an electric citrus juicer.
- Fresh Meyer lemon juice is the key ingredient in this recipe. There is no need to strain the seeds out since the finished custard will be strained.
- Temperature control is very important here. You do not want to end up with lemon-tasting scrambled eggs. Start on the lowest temperature setting.
- Once the eggs, juice, and sugar are mixed well, add pieces of butter. Slowly increase the temperature to about medium setting once a sauce has developed.
- The curd is finished once it coats the back of the spoon.
- Strain the sauce while still hot and immediately pour it into a jar.
- Let the curd cool before closing the lid and placing it in the refrigerator.
- Lemon curd stays fresh in the fridge for up to four weeks in an airtight container. It can also be frozen for longer storage.
Adult Services Librarian
Kansas City KS Public Library
625 Minnesota Ave
Kansas City, KS 66101
Ortho All About Citrus & Subtropical Fruits by Ortho Books
Gennaro’s Limoni: Vibrant Italian Recipes Celebrating the Lemon by Gennaro Contaldo
The Perfect Pie: Your Ultimate Guide to Classic and Modern Pies, Tarts, Galettes, and More by America’s Test Kitchen
Pie for Everyone: Recipes and Stories from Petee’s Pie, New York’s Best Pie Shop by Petra Paredez and Victor Garzon