By Carly McCracken
How many of us are truly ready for a natural disaster? Located smack dab in the Midwest, Kansas City experiences some truly wild weather. Our springs and summers are filled with extreme heat, messy thunderstorms, flooding, and tornados. Our winters contain freezing temperatures, ice storms, and blizzards. With climate change science shows us that we will have more natural disasters. Don’t wait until it is too late to start preparing now! This resource is dedicated to providing you with the information in order to be better prepared for when disaster strikes.
Join us and Dr. Chiquita Miller from the K-State County Research and Extension Office to learn how you and your family can be better prepared for when disaster strikes! We will have a virtual presentation followed by a 15 minute Q&A session.
Topic: Disaster Preparedness & You
Time: Nov 16, 2020 06:00 PM Central Time (US and Canada)
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 968 4327 4950
The following online resources provide excellent guides for starting your disaster preparedness journey.
- Prepare Kansas by K-State: https://blogs.k-state.edu/preparekansas/
- This online resource can guide you through different parts of disaster preparedness such as making a disaster plan, building a disaster kit, or having tough disaster based conversations with your kids.
- Natural Disaster and Severe Weather by The Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC): https://www.cdc.gov/disasters/index.html
- This resource focuses on all types of natural disasters. No matter where you live you are able to use this resource to help you know what to do before, during, and after a disaster happens.
- Ready.Gov: https://www.ready.gov/
- This resource provides information on what to do before, during, and after a variety of disasters that are both natural and manmade, such as cyberattacks or chemical emergencies.
Check out these titles in our collection to help you with your disaster preparedness.
- The Disaster Survival Guide: How to Prepare for and Survive Floods, Fires, Earthquakes, and More by Marie D. Jones: https://kckl.ent.sirsi.net/client/en_US/home/search/detailnonmodal/ent:$002f$002fSD_ILS$002f0$002fSD_ILS:1073113/ada?qu=natural+disasters+prepare&d=ent%3A%2F%2FSD_ILS%2F0%2FSD_ILS%3A1073113%7EILS%7E0&h=8
- This book shows how to prepare for and respond to any crisis, man-made or natural, wherever it might occur and however small or large it might be. Using what has been learned from previous disasters, this indispensable book illustrates how others survived past crises and managed to rebuild their lives.
- Prepping 101 : 40 Steps You Can Take to be Prepared : Protect Your Family; Prepare for Weather Disasters; be Ready and Resilient When Emergencies Arise by Kathy Harrison: https://kckl.ent.sirsi.net/client/en_US/home/search/detailnonmodal/ent:$002f$002fSD_ILS$002f0$002fSD_ILS:1060722/ada?qu=disasters+prepare&d=ent%3A%2F%2FSD_ILS%2F0%2FSD_ILS%3A1060722%7EILS%7E0&h=8
- The next severe storm, power outage, or financial meltdown could hit at any time. Having a household contingency plan and being part of a strong, resilient community could mean the difference between life and death. This friendly and highly accessible guide introduces the most important, practical steps your whole family can take to ensure survival in short- or long-term emergencies.
- The Ultimate Suburban Survivalist Guide: The Smartest Money Moves to Prepare for
Any Crisis by Sean Brodrick.: https://kckl.ent.sirsi.net/client/en_US/home/search/detailnonmodal/ent:$002f$002fSD_ILS$002f0$002fSD_ILS:736587/ada?qu=natural+disasters+prepare&d=ent%3A%2F%2FSD_ILS%2F0%2FSD_ILS%3A736587%7EILS%7E3&h=8
- If you want to continue your lifestyle AND you make smart money moves, then The Ultimate Survivalist Guide is the book for you. Saving money and profiting means understanding the many aspects of life where problems can strike, and this book will be your guide. In the face of disaster, it is better to plan than panic. A bulletproof plan will protect you from the disastrous surprise of a mishap- from shakeups in the stock market to the next oil crisis to fires and floods.
- Prepare for Anything Survival Manual by Tim MacWelch: https://kckl.ent.sirsi.net/client/en_US/home/search/detailnonmodal/ent:$002f$002fERC_1605_9348$002f0$002f1605_9348:HOOPLA:11579894/ada?qu=natural+disasters+prepare&d=ent%3A%2F%2FERC_1605_9348%2F0%2F1605_9348%3AHOOPLA%3A11579894%7EERC_ST_HOME%7E4&h=8
- This book is packed with hundreds of gear recommendations, skills, and survival tips, and strategies to help you be ready for anything. From an economic collapse to natural disasters to government surveillance, this book has you covered.