Traditional Subak Hwachae dessert is prepared by mixing honey and sugar with dissolved water and fruits. Today, the fruit punch is most commonly mixed with Sprite or milk. Especially popular in the summer, this Korean drink is designed to help you cool down and relax in the sun. Simple to put together and beautiful to the eye, this beverage is sure to be a people-pleaser!
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 3 TBS watermelon juice*
- 2 cups cubed or balled watermelon
- 2 cups Sprite/7-up/Ginger Ale OR milk
- 3 TBS cranberry juice**
- 2 cups crushed ice
*watermelon juice can be found at most grocery stores. It can also be made by following the additional recipe below.
**pomegranate juice is more traditional and may be substituted for cranberry
1. Add watermelon juice, soda (or milk), and cranberry juice to a punch bowl
2. Add 2 cups crushed ice to pitcher and stir to combine.
3. Use a melon baller to form balls, or a knife to slice cubes of watermelon and add to pitcher.
4. Stir to combine and serve!
- Cube or ball additional varieties of fruit to the punch as desired. Pineapple, blueberries, and lemon slices work particularly well with watermelon punch.
- Ensure each glass is filled with several pieces of ice and fruit for maximum enjoyment.
How to Make Watermelon Juice
1. Slice up several pieces of watermelon and add to a blender or pitcher.
2. Using a blender or immersion blender, blend watermelon until smooth. Strain with fine mesh strainer before using, to ensure all lumps and seeds are removed from mixture.