easy homemade ice cream
In this hot weather, our natural inclination is to have something sweet and refreshing. Ice cream is a snack of choice. What if there is no ice cream in your freezer? You can easily make some using only two ingredients- heavy whipping cream and sweetened condensed milk. In five easy steps, you will have some delicious ice cream.
- A mixer
- Bowl with a lid
- A form for freezing ice cream (you can use small paper cups and toothpicks)
- Heavy whipping cream
- Sweetened condensed milk
- Take whipping cream from refrigerator. It needs to be chilled but not frozen.
- On low speed, beat the cream until soft peaks form. Increase the mixing speed to high and beat until hard peaks form. Don’t overbeat; otherwise, you will get some butter instead of ice cream.
- Add full-fat sweetened condensed milk. You can adjust the sweetness according to your taste. Use half a can if you do not like it too sweet.
- Mix the cream with milk until well blended.
- Pour ice cream mix into a bowl with lid and put away in the freezer. Your delicious homemade ice cream will be ready in 6-8 hours.
Kansas City, Kansas Public Library has many resources on ice cream making, as well.
Check out these books:
- A to Z Ice Cream Making Ice Cream at Home for Total Beginners by Lisa Bond
- Sweet Cream and Sugar Cones: 90 recipes for Making Your Own Ice Cream and Frozen Treats from Bi-Rite Creamery by Kris Hoogerhyde
- Ice Cream and Frozen Desserts by Peggy Fallon