Iced coffee drinks are a summer staple in many European countries. Coffee drinks can be prepared many ways. The best way to get a cool drink with a frothy top is by blending ingredients in a cocktail shaker before serving.
The shakerato is an iced Italian espresso drink, appropriate for drinking all day long. Made by combining a few simple ingredients with lots of ice, this caffeinated beverage is sure to please!
- 1 ½ oz. (around 1/8 cup) espresso, or 3 oz. (around ½ cup) very strong coffee cooled
- 1 TSB sweetened condensed milk
- 1 ½ tsp simple syrup
1. Fill a cocktail shaker with ice.
2. Add espresso, milk, and syrup to cocktail shaker.
3. Cover shaker, and mix aggressively until the outside of the shaker is cold to the touch, and the mixture is very frothy, about 30 seconds to 1 minute.
4. Pour mixture into an iced-filled glass and enjoy.
1. Simple syrup can be purchased at the store or made using the recipe below. Once prepared, simple syrup can be stored in the refrigerator for one month.
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup water
- Add sugar and water into a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Let cool, then pour into a glass jar and seal tightly with a lid.
2. If you do not have a cocktail shaker, you can obtain the classic froth by foaming the coffee in a French press or using a hand mixer or immersion blender. If these options are not available, froth can be obtained by transferring the mixture from one cup into another until optimal froth is achieved.
Greek Frappe Mocha
Frappe Mochas are a staple of Greece’s outdoor summer drinking culture. Believed to have been created accidentally, this foamy iced coffee drink is created by mixing instant coffee with simple ingredients for a creamy cold drink.
- 2 tsp instant coffee
- 2/3 cup boiling water
- 2 tsp granulated sugar or simple sugar
- 2 tsp chocolate syrup
- 2 TBS milk of choice*
*evaporated milk is traditionally used in Greece
1. Combine 2 tsp coffee with 2/3 cup boiling water, let cool.
2. Add chocolate sauce and sugar and stir to blend.
3. Combine ingredients in a cocktail shaker filled with ice.
4. Shake cocktail shaker vigorously, 30 seconds to a minute, until mixture becomes very foamy.
5. Place a few ice cubes in a glass. Pour foamy coffee mixture over the ice. Serve immediately.