Candied Spicy Pecans
- 1 lb Pecan halves
- 4 Tbsp Unsalted butter
- 1/4 c + 2 Tbsps packed brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp Ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne pepper (could subsitute nutmeg)
- 1/2 tsp Ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Dried ground orange peel
- 1/2 tsp Smoked paprika
- Mix the cumin, cayenne, cinnamon, smoked paprika and orange peel together in a small bowl and set aside.
- Place the nuts in a 10-inch cast iron skillet and set over medium heat. Cook, stirring frequently with a large wooden spoon or spatula for 4 to 5 minutes or until the pecans begin to brown release their roast aroma.
- Stir in the spices until just fragrant (15-30 seconds), then add the butter and stir to melt. Follow that with the sugar. When thoroughly mixed, add the water. Stir 2 to 3 minutes or until the sugar has completely and the nuts look glazed. Sprinkle over with the kosher salt and remove from heat.
- Spread the nuts evenly onto the parchment or foil so that they don’t dry in clumps.
Community Services Librarian
Kansas City, Kansas Public Library
625 Minnesota Ave.
Kansas City, KS 66101
913-295-8250 ext 1103