Mushroom and Walnut Risotto
Comfort food: a hug you can eat.Feeds two people for one day, or one person for two days.
- 4 Tbsp Butter
- 4 c Chicken broth
- 1 Onion
- 1 clove Garlic
- 1 1/2 c Arborio Rice
- 1 c White wine
- 2 oz Shredded Parmesan
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- 2 largish Mushrooms (roughly chopped)
- 2 handfuls Shelled walnuts (roughly chopped)
- Melt half of the BUTTER in a blue 4-quart dutch oven, or similar pan, with medium heat.
- (At the same time, in a separate pan, heat CHICKEN BROTH until hot but not boiling.)
- Add to the butter a finely-chopped tennis-ball-sized ONION and GARLIC CLOVE and cook until soft.
- Add RICE and cook until all the grains are coated with butter and turning translucent.
- Pour in WINE. Stir, stir, stir until all of the liquid is absorbed by the rice.
- Reduce heat to simmer. Ladle in about half a cup of the heated broth and stir periodically until that liquid is absorbed. Repeat a half cup at a time for the rest of the broth.
- Once the rice is cooked but not mushy, stir in the rest of the BUTTER, shredded PARMESAN, SALT, BLACK PEPPER, MUSHROOMS, and WALNUTS.