Coffee Filter Butterflies
Mason received a butterfly kit from Insect for his birthday this year, so we are currently watching caterpillars enclose themselves in their chrysalids and will hopefully have five butterflies flying around in about a week! Until then, we made these coffee filter butterflies which are super simple to make and look beautiful hanging in a window.
- Coffee filter
- markers or watercolor paints
- paper plate or something else to protect your drawing surface
- pipe cleaners
- Flatten your coffee filter out on your paper plate.
- Use markers or watercolors to color it however you like!
- Fold a pipe cleaner in half.
- Scrunch your colored coffee filter in the middle and place the pipe cleaner around it.
- Twist the top of your pipe cleaner to make antennae.
- Spread and fluff your butterfly’s wings until you are satisfied with how it looks!
- You can tape your butterfly to a window and watch as the light shines through it’s colorful wings!
- If you do complete the craft, I’d love to see it! You can email me a picture at email@example.com!
You can expand your butterfly knowledge by checking out one of these books available through our eCommunity!
- The Very Impatient Caterpillar by Ross Burach, available on Hoopla also available in Spanish
- Egg to Butterfly by Rachel Tonkin, available on Hoopla